10 Things I Hate About You

(and some!)

One man's rants against those who try their hardest to make life difficult.

Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Friday, February 11, 2005

No Escape

Hot on the heels of yesterdays rant about spam, another method of "selling" that makes me do the exact opposite of what they want. Intersticials! You know - those frigging annoying animated adverts on websites that fly in over the text that you're trying to read and/or follow you down the page 'til you click the bastards closed. Grrr. How to make me hate a website Part 1.

You know the really galling think about these ads, is that you try to close them, miss the tiny "x" close icon and end up on the page they want to take you to and you just know the website owners are going to their clients with "look see, people do click them, they really work!". Idiots. Then they probably tag you as gullible or a "soft touch" and show you even more of the little buggers!

So I've have started my own "blacklist" of sites that use this type of ad and I refuse to visit them anymore, no matter how good they are. Until now, thankfully there weren't too many sites I used regularly that pushed this crap into my face. I can live with adverts at the side, top, even between paragraphs - after all, a site needs to survive. Fair play. Hell i even clicked some of them. But Intersticials just piss me off and anyway, there's usually enough competitor sites to find a good alternative. So its "bye bye" to:

Skysports (replaced by the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/ a while back)
Lastminute (replaced by www.Latedeals.com - some great offers at LD too!)

and just spotted today...

Yahoo UK (its back to Google i guess)

Any more sites considering using these adverts, let me know in advance please so I can find decent alternatives. I thank you.

S!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home